VegasTennis.com would like to thank it's writers Ed Ureta and Anis Khair and USTA-Nevada Executive Director Ryan Wolfington for providing information for this daily update. Please e-mail us ideas, insights, your comments and suggestions for this daily column and event.
Click here for more photos
TUESDAY MUST KNOW:
1. That "Off the hook" player party at the Las Vegas Hilton, did have most of the top players in the draw, the who's who of the Las Vegas social scene and was held in the Zen Lounge but, we reported one fact wrong, the band that blew our socks off that night was "The Sunset Strip Band."
2. Asia Muhammad lost in doubles today 7-6, 6-2. Asia plays the much anticipated singles match tomorrow (Wednesday) 2nd on, which is around 11am-noon. Immediately following the THOMPSON TWINS play in main draw doubles. Amazing that 3 local juniors are now pro! Ken Shioi and Tim Blenkiron must be proud. (Note Springers started Asia and Craig Whitcher the Thompsons.)
3. Major increase in tickets sales from last year to this year. One rumor had the increase at close to 60%. This must continue if we want to keep pro tennis in Las Vegas. Buying tickets supports the event.
4. #1 seed Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) defeat D Sela (ISR) 62 76(2)5.
5. Tall man American phenom who donated his signed size 14 shoes to the USTA-Nevada auction- American John Isner rallied from a set down to beat Colombian Alejandro Falla 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 Tuesday in Las Vegas. Isner, backed by his 17 aces, needed just under two hours to advance into the second round. So far the highest bid for those shoes is $150.00, in case anyone wants to take these size 14's home. Signed Hewitt racket is up for sale too!
6. KIDS DAY was incredible, with over 1,000 running every where and Wayne Bryan doing his legendary clinics that make children LOVE TENNIS. His techniques have resulted in over 100 college scholarship athletes, countless grandslams, ATP titles, over 6 NCAA Championships and scores more state and national champions. His book " Raising Your Child to Be a Champion in Athletics, Arts, and Academics" is the best tennis book I have ever read. No wonder his children got all A's, went to Stanford on athletic and Academic scholarship and are #1 in the world, and also professional musicians. Buy the book at :
7. Third seeded Marcos Baghdatis defeated American Vincent Spadea 7-6(5), 6-1 Tuesday night to advance to the second round of the Tennis Channel Open. He'll next face another American in Robby Ginepri in his next match.
Additional tournament sponsors
City of Las Vegas
Las Vegas Events
Darling Tennis Center
www.LaurelSprings.com Private school of online learning
Las Vegas Hilton
PREMIER PLATFORM TENNIS
Thanks for making this event possible......
TUESDAY NIGHT UPDATE:
Mike Agassi now 67 or 68 and in his later years, looked on at the national anthem being sung by a now famous 10 year old girl he discovered months ago, and he started to cry. Taking his handkerchief away he said, "That was so beautiful."Sometimes when we get past the years of rushing we take in the beauty of life in it's simplest of displays. Mr. Agassi has been the kindest of men to me and to so many children in this town. You hear the stories about how hard he was on his children and in his book he tells you the story of how he came from a home with a dirt floor in Iran and through adversity found his home in America and built a dynasty. Even there he admits to having pushed his children too hard. But in the last 4 years I have known him, I have seen nothing of that, just tremendous kindness, towards me, the children he helps and the Martyy Hennessy Foundation, that because of Mike and Tony Bennett, has done so well. He has a big heart and those tears tonight are just a small picture of that. Saturday night he will be honored on center court - and I will be one person who has been honored to have him in my life.
The girl singing is Ellie Smith who has song all over America at professional events, but had her big break when I brought her out to sing the national anthem at Mike Agassi's NO QUIT National tournament, and Mike said , "She will be the best in the world." He then took her to Davis Foster who was producing Andre';s show and insisted he hear this young wonder. David was so impressed he put her in the show with the other top talent, at Andre's Grand Slam concert.
BAGHDATIS AND TICKET SALES
Third seeded Marcos Baghdatis defeated American Vincent Spadea 7-6(5), 6-1 Tuesday night to advance to the second round of the Tennis Channel Open. He'll next face another American in Robby Ginepri in his next match. Baghdatis is electrifying.
3.. Ekaterina Bychkova wasted little time in dispatching Masa Zec Peskiric of the Slovak Republic 6-2, 6-0 to advance to the second round of the Hilton Cup. Local Phenom Asia Muhammad plays her first round singles match tomorrow for the Hilton Cup, 11am-noon roughly.
4. FACILITY OF THE YEAR AWARD FOR SELLING THE MOST AMOUNT OF TICKETS.... in numbers and dollars. Las Vegas Hilton is not only one of the main sponsors, but their tennis facility under Billy Derango sold the most number of tickets to support the event to win the facility of the year award for selling the most tickets. Alexander Dawson School also won Facility of the year award for selling the highest dollar amount of tickets. A very close third rumor has it was the impressive PASSION TENNIS in Henderson. Lorenzi Racquet Club, Bradley Tennis Academy at Southern Highlands, TPC, Clark County's Sunset Park, YMCA, SUMMERLIN TENNIS CLUB and others all chipped in and helped get tickets sold through their facilities. We need the help of Facilities to sell tickets and keep the Tennis Channel Open here in our town. Email me if you will be a facility rep to sell tickets for next year! This years Facility night also was Family night with face painting, video game tent, facility and tennis program information for families, free popcorn and more. Note Darl;ing probably would have won too, but they were not counted since it is the home site.
5. Hewitt won doubles match - C Guccione (AUS) / L Hewitt (AUS) defeat E Butorac (USA) / J Thomas (USA) 64 76(5)
6. Who's who sited: Former Las Vegas Country Club pro Jackie White, famous trainer "Gene", Adrien Himmelheber, Kevin Bradley Director of Tennis at Southern Highlands, Agassi Foundations Program Director Adam Carey, Craig Whitcher with Lorenzi Racquet, UNLV men's coach Owen Hambrook and assistant Beck, Ladies coach Kevin Cory and assistant Avi, Canyon Gate Director Ben Coates, pro Sean Monk, USTA-Nevada John Janotta, USTA-Intermountain Executive Director Terry Walters, Henderson Home news sports reporter Tim Mullin (Most tennis articles this year), Annette Broarsma, Mary Toti and coaches Adam Yee and Mark Sapperstein, UNLV ladies team.
OTHER RESULTS TODAY:
 P Starace (ITA) d C Berlocq (ARG) 76(5) 60
[Q] K Anderson (RSA) d  M Llodra (FRA) 62 76(2)
[Q] P Luczak (AUS) d [LL] M Zverev (GER) 62 10 ret. (right knee)
 J Bjorkman (SWE) / K Ullyett (ZIM) d F Cermak (CZE) / L Friedl (CZE) 61 75
SINGLES - E Gulbis (LAT) d N Massu (CHI) 75 46 64
[Q] A Delic (USA) d J Melzer (AUT) 75 76(2)
[Q] C Guccione (AUS) d V Hanescu (ROU) 62 46 76(5)
J Benneteau (FRA) d J Bjorkman (SWE) 64 76(4)
WEDNESDAY MATCH UPS:
WEDNESDAY DAY SESSION HIGHLIGHTS:
1. ASIA Muhammad plays main draw singles at 11am to noon
2. Thompson Twins play on same court right after
3. Canas plays Chris Guccione noon or later
4. *****Nicolas Kiefer vs Phenom Sam Querry - VERY GOOD MATCH
5. 3:30 or later --- Mirat Safin and Xavier Malisse play doubles against Marcus Baghdatis & Economidid
YELLOW AND WHITE OUT NIGHT ---- Possibly one of the best Tennis nights promoted ever! Thanks to Rob Kinas
Lance Arm Strong and American Cancer Society team up with the Bryan Brothers to raise money to find a cure.
THOUSANDS BUY TICKETS, SELL OUT BOWL, ALL WEARING YELLOW AND WHITE T-SHIRTS to raise awareness, raise money and sell out Wednesday night at the Tennis Channel Open. Only lower level tickets left. This could be the best night yet. Tickets still available, but only a few. Buy online at www.TennsiChannelOpen.com
WEDNESDAY NIGHT LINE UP:
1. BRYAN BROTHERS DOUBLES vs Guillermo Canas and Sergio Roitman
2. Lleyton Hewitt, former #1 and Tennis Channel Open Champion, verses Julien Benneteau
1. Longines watches sponsored Agassi Foundation players to attend TCO- All dressed in uniform, these tennis players, now as good as any in the city, got the chance to live in style in the sky box. Before hand Wayne Bryan played games with the Agassi children before the matches.
VEGASTENNIS.COM ARTICLES by Edgardo Ureta: FIRST SEED GONZALEZ SCREAMS INTO SECOND ROUND
Fernando Gonzalez and Dudi Sela was the headline match during mid-day and fans cheered as if at world cup. Both Chileans and Israelis cheered on for their native players and the audience believed that these kind of fans bring a good ambience and excitement to the tournament. Gonzalez ended up winning 6-2,7-6. After the match i had a chance to speak with Gonzalez's coach Larry Stefanki. 'Fernando hasn't played for an entire month, i think he played an exceptional first set and he's feeling comfortable out their with the Chilean crowd behind him.'He plays Korolev next round and he's a very big hitter, it will not be an easy match last time they played it went to four sets in 2007 Australian Open so we will see what happens', said Stefanki.
KIDS DAY FILLED WITH WARM HEARTS
This Tuesday morning began with both gorgeus weather and happy kids. Kids day was ran by Wayne Bryan and the kids enjoyed every bit of it. Kids who participated in this event filled about seventy percent of the stadium. Not only did Wayne Bryan motivate these yougsters mentally but also physically for this tournament and otherwise. During the time that kids were having their day on the center court parents and guardians of the kids were happy to see their kids having fun and both being in a safe surrounding. Kids enjoyed the time by playing games on court and other activities like trivias and being rewarded with prizes. In the picture above is local tennis player Fred Aguilar with both of his grandkids showing the meaning of family values.
ASIA MUHAMMED AND DOUBLES PARTNER BRENGLE DRAW CROUDS ATTENTION
These two young players one of them a local(Asia Muhammed), attracted a full crowd on sidelines for their first round doubles match. Audience members of all ages came to support Vegas local Muhamme and partner Brengle for their first round match in the Hilton Cup Challenger Event. Even though these two players ended up losing the match 7-5,6-1 these two girls gave a lot heart into the match and kept the audience in suspense the entire time. These girls not only were good competitors but equally great at having sportsmanship too. Muhammed and Brengle are now out of the tournament but Asia Muhammed is scheduled to play tomorrow close to eleven fifteen in the morning.
YOUNG TALENT ELLIE SMITH, AND MIKE AGASSI SPARK UP THE NIGHT
appearances of Ellie Smith and Mike Agassi gave an extra spark to the session. At first Smith sang the nation anthem of United States and sounded like a celBefore the evening session the ine dion on the rise. Mike Agassi was a surprise nobody knew that he was coming that night. Not only does this man have a reputation for leading Andre into one of the best players of all time but as well as being honred this Saturday at the Darling Tennis Center. Mike enjoyed the evening along with Smith in a cool night in the city lights under Summerlin. Ellie Smith is also a very seriuos tennis player she plays over 3 days a week at clubsport greenvalley. Just another multi-talented girl who is loved by the crowd.
HILTON AND AGASSI JUNIOR PLAYERS EXPRESSED EXCITEMENT FOR BAGHDATIS V.S. SPADEA MATCH
At around 7:30 p.m. not only did Marcos Bagdatis and Vincent Spadea hit the court, but junior players hit the stands! These kids were so loud that people from Cyprus could hear them. These juniors had flags energy, and blankets for the cold. The match was non-stop action, Baghdatis won the match 7-6,6-1 within 1 hour 45 minutes the match was over. This was Marcos's first official ATP tournament in Las Vegas and he enjoyed the fan support across the stadium. Marcos is the third seed in the tournament and according to a poll that i took during today 35 percent of the public who attended this event believe that Bagdatis is going to be the one holding up the Tennis Channel Open trophy at the end.
ORDER OF PLAY - WEDNESDAY, MARCH 5, 2008
STADIUM COURT start 10:30 am
 M Melo (BRA) / A Sa (BRA) vs S Lipsky (USA) / D Martin (USA)
Not Before 12:00 PM
[Q] C Guccione (AUS) vs  G Canas (ARG)
 N Kiefer (GER) vs S Querrey (USA)
Not Before 5:30 PM
 B Bryan (USA) / M Bryan (USA) vs G Canas (ARG) / S Roitman (ARG)
Not Before 7:00 PM
J Benneteau (FRA) vs  L Hewitt (AUS)
STADIUM 2 not before 12:00 PM
 P Starace (ITA) vs [Q] A Delic (USA)
M Mirnyi (BLR) / J Murray (GBR) vs T Johansson (SWE) / R Lindstedt (SWE)
Not Before 3:00 PM
[WC] M Baghdatis (CYP) / K Economidis (GRE) vs X Malisse (BEL) / M Safin (RUS)
ON-SITE CONTACT NUMBERS
+1 702 440 6650 Press Desk
+1 702 440 6665 ATP Media & Marketing Operations – Martin Dagahs (email@example.com), Pete Holtermann (firstname.lastname@example.org)
OFFICIAL LIVE SCORES
Log on to the ATP Media Notes at: http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/media/notes/
OR visit the Press Room on atptennis.com (link at bottom of home page)
Log on to the Las Vegas singles draw at: http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2008/433/MDS.pdf
Log on to the Las Vegas doubles draw at: http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2008/433/MDD.pdf